In line with international practice and consular practice in China, the purpose of consular authentication (legalization) is to ensure that notarial deeds issued in one country can be acknowledged by relevant authorities in another country, and the deeds can have its due legal effect, which shall not be affected by doubts on the authenticity of the seal or signature on the deeds.The Chinese Embassy is responsible for legalizing notarial deeds and other documents that have been duly authenticated by the Foreign Ministry or the Justice Ministry of Bulgaria. All notarial deeds and other documents issued in Bulgaria need to be legalized for intended use in China.
Step by Step
Have your document notarized by a local notary public unless it is an original certified copy/certification issued by a competent government office.
The document needs further to be authenticated by the Foreign Ministry or Justice Ministry of Bulgaria where it is executed.
Come to the Chinese Embassy in Sofia for final document legalization.
1. Please make sure you have followed the all the steps required for authentication before submitting your document to the Chinese Embassy .
2. Your document must be authentic, intact and legitimate. The Embassy will NOT authenticate a document that contains illegal contents under Chinese laws or may cause potential threats to China's national or public interests.
3. A document containing two or more pages must be bound properly and securely, with sealing wax or paging seal/embossed seal to ensure the integrity of the document. The Embassy will NOT authenticate a document if it is found illegitimate, or in any way forged, counterfeited, fraudulent or altered.
4. Single affidavits/certificates intended to be used for marriage registration in China and certain adoption documents regarding marital status, health status, or criminal records are only valid for six months from the date of issuance. The Embassy will NOT authenticate a document if it becomes invalid.
How to apply
1. Appointment is NOT required for submission or collection of your authentication documents.
2. You may submit your application in person, or use an agent (Power of Attorney is not necessary). Please note that you may be required to come in person to have an interview with a consular officer if necessary.
3. You or your agent will be able to pick up your documents on the date written on your pick-up slip, unless otherwise notified by the Visa Office.
1. One duly completed and signed Authentication Application Form. If your application is submitted by an agent, please make sure to fill in Section 7 of the form.
2. Original document to be authenticated;
3. Complete set of photocopy of the documents to be authenticated.
4. For personal documents, please submit the photocopy of the passport or ID of applicant.
For company documents, please submit a cover letter and the photocopy of the passport or ID of the legal person of the company.
If your application is submitted by an agent, please also submit the photocopy of the the passport or ID of the agent.
5. Other supporting documents if consular officer thinks it is necessary.
Once your application is accepted, you will be given a pickup slip with which you can make payment at bank and pick up your documents on the pickup date.
Regular service: 5 working days
Express service: 2-3 working days
The above processing time is average and for reference only. Some applications may require longer processing time that a pick-up date cannot be confirmed until notified.
Fees and Payment
1) Regular Service
Civil documents: $20 per document.
Commercial documents: $40 per document.
2) Express Service: an additional fee of $25 per document.
Authentication fee should be paid once your application is approved and processed.
Applicant is required to make payment to the designated bank.The payment information is as follows:
Bank Name: First Investment Bank
Account Name: Embassy of the People's Republic of China
(1) Applicant should ask for Invoice from bank after making payment. The number of pick-up slip should be mentioned in the invoice.
(2) Applicant collects his document in the Embassy by providing the pick-up slip and the invoice.